Mickey talks with Monique Salinas of Ascend LLC about board relations and what it takes to nourish your nonprofit board of directors. Among the things we discuss:
- Most nonprofit organizations have a love/hate relationship with their Board of Directors. Why does this happen?
- Few nonprofits and their boards take the time to get the professional education/training that could remarkably improve their relationships and as result more successfully accomplish their missions.
- Staff does not adequately communicate organizational information to the board in a timely manner, or at all.
- Boards either maintain a hands-off attitude and do nothing, or they attempt to micromanage the staff and organization.
- Recommendations on how to improve the state of affairs for dysfunctional boards.